January 26, 2009

one, two three and away!



One, Two, Three and Away was a reading scheme series of books for children written by Sheila McCullagh, and illustrated by Ferelith Eccles Williams aka Eccles. First published in the 1965 by Collins in the U.K, the books were still being reprinted in the 1980s.

My first encounter with the characters was in the Collins books but on picking my son up from nursery recently I discovered his class had these deligthful wooden dolls and what a find!

The story centered around The Village with Three Corners and featured Roger Red Hat, Billy Blue Hat, twins Johnny and Jennifer Yellow Hat and Percy Green Hat. The tallest doll measures 130mm.

There was also a video and a set of rubber stamps to accompany the series of books.



2 comments:

jonny mendelsson said...

I've just found an old post on the website dolls from around the world, where you can a very small image of more of the dolls.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I'd really like to use your One, Two, Three and Away photos on my own blog, since I learned to read using the very editions you posted. Where did you get your picture and may I use it (with credit where credit is due?)

Thanks,
Rosa
rosa@rosajurjevics.com