April 23, 2009

1966 World Cup Willie Mascot



















Another great find, this time from the Stables at Camden Market, probably sometime in the early Nineties. To think I actually ummed and arrghed over paying the £8 price tag!

World Cup Willie was the mascot for the 1966 World Cup in England and what a handsome fellow he is too. There've been some good mascots over the years, but this soft toy version is my favourite. Sadly I cant find a makers mark, so I cant tell you much more about him.

Willie was the first World Cup mascot, and while he was emblazoned on all manner of items one of the strangest Ive found is this rollerball figure below by Marx Rolykins. The base has a lead ballbearing that makes Willie glide along.















To see all the mascots, since Englands finest hour head over to Wikipedia.

3 comments:

The Silke Selection said...

I just picked up this roler willie too! must be one of the first football toy merchandise items ever I suppose.

Unknown said...

This Mascot is amazing! My grandfather is very passionate about collecting WorldCup mascots, and this piece is the only one missing! Is there any chance that you still have this mascot, and that you're willing to sell? I'd love to hear from you! Greetings, Pleunie

Unknown said...

My dad has this mascot, trying to find out more about it as he was thinking of selling it, I can only seem to find the other version on eBay