December 03, 2010

Ferelith Eccles Williams Marmaduke books
















A while back I posted several dolls from the one two three away series, illustrated by Ferelith Eccles Williams. Born in 1920, Ferelith was a pretty prolific illustrator, but I didnt know she taught Ian Beck!

Back in the Fifties, before The Village with Three Corners, Ferelith produced a lot of splendid work for Elizabeth Chapman's Marmaduke, a series of tales about a red car. Shown above are two copies, that turned up locally. While the covers are pretty sumptuous, what really grabbed me, were the interior spots, a few of which are shown below.

5 comments:

JOHN BROADLEY said...

I picked up one of these last week at a school bazaar - simply called 'Marmaduke the Lorry'.
It was towards the end of the day when we went and at the bookstall by that time people coul fill a carrier bag with as many books as they could get in there for £1. This, and a load of puffin paperbacks, were quickly snaffled.
I was planning to use one of the pictures as a Christmas card this year....

jonny mendelsson said...

Fantastic!
You cant beat School bazaars. Its the boys schools Christmas fair tonight! I do hope were as lucky as you? That is, if its still on, what with this cold snap!

Unknown said...

Really enjoyed your blog, which I've just stumbled on. And I thought I was the only one with a hankering for 1960s ephemera! I must get some of my old stuff photographed....

Unknown said...

I was delighted to find these links and images. Dear Ferelith did indeed teach me (or I should say tried to teach I was often skiving or teasing her I am ashamed to say)this was at Brighton School of Art in 1965 or so. She took us for costume drawing among other things. She was charming and very perceptive and suggested that I should try illustrating Ronald Firbank. I tried. I hadn't the faintest idea what he was on about until much later in life. I have my own Blog by the way full of interesting old illustrations, books films poems notions etc, have a look.
http://ianbeck.wordpress.com/

jonny mendelsson said...

Thanks for stopping by Ian. Its nice to hear your stories about Ferelith. Her drawings really are delightful.

I was wondering were you at Brighton at the same time as Peter Bailey? Pete taught me at Liverpool, back in the 80's!

I enjoyed your blog!